Thursday, February 10, 2011

What do YOU want to be when you grow up?

This is a question, looking back to my youth, that teachers never asked me.  I was never asked in school what career I would like to pursue in my future.  Because of that I always make a point at some time in the year to ask my students that very question.  I am always surprised by the aspirations of my students.

So today, after getting back from two days bed rest with this cold/flu that I've been fighting, that's how I started each of my freshmen classes;  asking them what they want to be when they grow up.  I was shocked at the number of 15 year old freshmen that have NO CLUE what they want to do with their lives.  Some told me they've never thought about it.  I don't know about all of you, but I was playing teacher as soon as I was able to function.  I always made my brother the student and I loved it.  I knew that I wanted to be a teacher when I was a little kid (I kind of drifted in the 4th grade to wanting to be President and then again as a freshman in college considering law school).  I got a lot of kids wanting to be veterinarians (not sure if I would trust any of them with my pets) and more doctors than I expected.  These kids don't even want to do homework.  God Bless them in medical school.

I got two of the best answers ever today to my question.  Good, honest but HILARIOUS answers:

Answer #1:  This is from "Tyler with an I" as in he has decided within the last semester to spell his name T-I-L-E-R.  He puts the little bubble on top of the "i" and everything.  When I asked him why he decided on this sudden spell change he told me in his wispy soft voice, "Because Ms. N, I think it's super cute."  I just want to put him in my pocket and take him to a Cher concert.  Anyways when I asked "Tyler with an i" what he wants to be when he grows up he looked me dead in the face and softly and wipsly said "Ms. N. I'm going to be a model."  The child is beautiful and he could totally pull it off but I had to follow up with "But what will be your backup plan?"  He looked at me disgusted and raised his already high voice and said "My back up plan?  To be a model Ms N.  I don't need a backup plan.  Or I guess I could be a hot firefighter."  I hope he reaches for the stars.

Answer #2:  This answer was from your typical loud, obnoxious, it's all about me, freshman cheerleader.  When the question was proposed to her she matter of fact told me the only reason she is going to college is to find a man with money who will marry her so all she has to do with her life is shop and lunch with friends.  Now this is a girl who has planned things out.  I also asked her what her backup plan is.  She said she would pretend to attend law school so she could meet a rich lawyer.  At least she's honest?

God help us, these are the kids that will be taking care of us when we're older.

No comments:

Post a Comment